Wednesday 7 March 2018

Round Two tomorrow

I spent a couple of hours up at the hospital today in preparation for my second round of chemotherapy.  Everything was good.  My blood tests were perfect (white blood cell count, I think), my blood pressure, temperature, and O2 were perfect.  I had an ECG which apparently was normal, and I spent about 30 minutes talking to a very thorough GPO (General Practitioner Oncologist) about the side effects that I've experienced so far.  She gave me the green light for round two.

The only slight glitch is that I may be having an allergic reaction to either the bandage on my arm or the antiseptic that they use to keep it sterile.  I've had two dressing changes now (every seven days) and both times my arm has been very red underneath the dressing.  After the first one I developed a burn blister along the edge of the bandage, which has since gone away.  After the second one, my arm itched like crazy for a few days.  Today when she pulled off the dressing  she used one of the antiseptic cleansers instead of two, and washed it with saline afterwards to see if that helps eliminate the burning.   To rule out the bandage as the culprit, I'm wearing one on both arms to see if my other arm gets angry and red. 

So far, so good... not itchy under either bandage, so with any luck, it was the cleaner that she did not use today.  Other than that, today was easy peasy! I'm a model patient.

So...  on to round two tomorrow morning.

No comments: